About:

My two Etsy shops, Furniture Alchemy and Alchemy Home Decor are inspired by vintage, rustic tones with a modern twist. I love creating one-of-a-kind accents for the home, and dabble in a little bit of everything DIY!

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Thrift store belts repurposed!

I wanted to do a quick post showing how I took a pottery barn counter stool from a thrift store and gave it a new seat using repurposed belts that I picked up from the same thrift store!

Materials:
- stool with rush seat (preferably a torn one, so you're not ruining the rush on top)
- about 11-13 canvas belts from a thrift store (or maybe you have that many of your own lying around that you don't wear!)
- paint of your choice, steel wool, polyurethane, and steel wool (for distressing)
-Heavy duty staple gun and scissors


I was too eager to start on my project, so I didn't take a before picture....but I picked up a Pottery Barn counter stool at a thrift store for $25...It looked kind of like this one, except the rush on top of mine was torn pretty badly:

On my stool (like the one pictured), the rush seat part unscrewed from underneath, so after I removed it, I used my scissors to cut off the rest of the rush seat. This left just a wood frame that would eventually be placed back on top of the stool and re-attached from the bottom.

I chose to paint my stool in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, "Graphite", then do some distressing with steel wool on all of the edges, and finished it with a coat of General Finishes Flat polyacrylic.

Next, I "put on" the belts going around one side of the frame (alternating which way the buckle was facing), buckled, and tightened them as much as they would go.
Then, going the opposite way, I wove the belts in and out of the others, making a pattern and tightening/buckling those as well.

I placed the frame with belts back on top of the stool and flipped it over, screwing it back into place to attach it to the base of the stool.  Then, using a heavy duty staple gun, stapled each belt in place on the bottom and cut off the excess of the belts so it looked like this:

Flip it back over and you're done! Here's my finished product, which is available for purchase in our Etsy shop (click on picture for link to the listing!):


What other ideas can you guys think of for thrift store belts?!?

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I love all of your furniture! I am refinishing a dresser for my baby. I used DIY navy blue chalk paint which looks great, but after doing much research I think I want to use a satin polyacylic instead of wax to finish it for durability purposes. I have been looking at the General Finishes satin polyacrylic and the modern masters masterclear . Is there one that you prefer over the other? Is there a specific product by either of them that you love for finishing over chalk paint? This is my first time chalk painting so I really don't want to mess it up with the topcoat. I need something that goes on easily and is close to "foolproof" if there is such a thing! Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I agree, and would definitely go with a polyarcylic instead of wax for finish coat for durability! Personally, I really love the General Finishes "high performance" satin polyarcylic. It does on very smooth, and doesn't leave any brush strokes. Just make sure that you are using a good brush (not one that you painted with), and that you stir the can really well before and while you are applying it, just to make sure that the particles inside aren't settling on the bottom of the can. The Modern Masters one works really well for the metallic paints, but its pretty expensive, so thats why I don't usually use it on the chalk paint. The General Finishes one is amazing though, I use it on almost all of my pieces these days!
      I'd love to see a picture of your piece! Feel free to follow me on FB as well and post a picture of your finished product:-)
      http://www.facebook.com/FurnitureAlchemy

      Delete
  2. searching i found this nice website.I am a google and search on many topics.

    Furniture Stores

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm!! This blog is really cool, I’m so lucky that I have reached here and got this awesome information.
    life insurance

    ReplyDelete

Furniture Alchemy on Etsy!